Personal Laser Hair Removal: The Best Way To Do It Yourself
When was the last time you shaved? For most of us, it was probably just yesterday! Getting rid of unwanted body hair can be tiring and tedious. And if you're the kind of person whose hair grows in quickly, you may find yourself running through razors like they're going out of style.
Sure, other methods of hair removal like waxing may offer longer results, but the thought of ripping hair from the most sensitive areas of your body with hot wax is enough to make anyone cringe. Let's face it, traditional hair removal methods like waxing, shaving, and tweezing are a pain - literally. In addition to not offering long-term results, these methods often leave behind painful side effects like bumps, cuts, burns, and ingrown hairs - ouch!
If you are looking to kick your unwanted body hair to the curb from the privacy of your own home without the painful side effects, it might be time to consider an at-home laser hair removal device.
In this article, we will cover personal laser hair removal and the best way to do it yourself for fabulous results. So buckle in and keep reading - let's dive in!
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
While laser hair removal treatment has been around since the 90s, it's more popular today than ever - and for good reason: it's a safe and effective way to get rid of unwanted hair that requires virtually no upkeep. And while we might be seeing the return of the full bush and underarm hair with the "let it grow" movement sweeping over the nation, the laser hair removal market continues to climb.
Laser hair removal works like this: After a laser is aimed at your unwanted hair, the pigment melanin found in high concentration in your hair follicles absorbs the light and is subsequently destroyed. At-home laser hair removal devices work in the same way - a futuristic-looking device emits a laser pulse that targets your hair follicle, heats it up, and prevents it from growing new hair.
Laser hair removal treatment can treat any area of the body that has unwanted hair, excluding the eyes. The most commonly treated areas include:
- Upper lip
- Bikini line
When To Consider Personal Laser Hair Removal
You can consider a personal laser hair removal treatment at any time you have unwanted hair that limits you to wear a certain type of clothing. For example, if unsightly leg hair is keeping you from rocking your favorite pair of short-shorts, you can easily remove those pesky leg hairs with laser hair removal for a much needed confidence boost. Another reason to consider laser treatment is if you have sensitive skin and/or are prone to ingrown hairs. Why? Because laser hair removal works by targeting and destroying hair follicles. If there is no follicle for a hair to sprout from, you won't ever have to suffer from an ingrown hair ever again.
Pros of personal laser hair removal:
- You can perform this treatment on both large and small areas affected by unwanted hair.
- When you perform laser treatment, you will notice that your skin is much softer, and your complexion is more uniform.
- Hair will never grow again after performing several sessions. It can take some time, and results tend to vary, but most people see permanent results after six to eight treatments. If you do happen to notice a little bit of hair growth following the end of your treatment, you'll find that the hair is much thinner and not as noticeable as it was before.
- Unlike other popular methods of hair removal like threading or waxing, laser hair removal is virtually painless and comes with no risk of your skin being burned by hot wax. Laser hair removal is a no-mess process that can be carried out on any part of the body with no worry.
- A common pet-peeve is that with hair removal methods like sugaring and waxing, you're advised to let your hair grow to a certain extent before being able to get another treatment. This means that you can't shave off any unwanted hair between sessions, which could leave you a little hairy for a few days. With laser hair removal treatment, you are encouraged to shave before each session because it prevents scorching the hair on the surface of your skin. This is great news for folks who like to remain fuzz-free all through the year.
Cons of personal laser hair removal:
- Multiple laser treatments are needed in order to get permanent results.
- Blonde, gray, and white hair are less responsive to laser hair removal treatment.
How Personal Laser Hair Removal is Done
Prior to beginning this procedure, it is advised to place some protective eye shields on your eyes to prevent injury. Although eye injury from an at-home laser device poses a minimal risk, it's better to be safe than sorry. Always be sure to use eye protection when you come in contact with a laser.
Step 1: Getting Started
- Clean the area on your skin where you want to eliminate unwanted hair.
- Shave the entire area. Do not pluck the hair or wax the hair.
- Dry the area and then you can enter step two.
Step 2: Selecting Your Treatment Level
Many at-home laser devices come with energy levels. For example, The KENZZI IPL Hair Removal Handset comes with five different energy levels. Choose the level that you feel would work best for you. We recommend starting with the lowest level (1) and working your way up to the highest level (5).
Step 3: Beginning The Treatment
- Place the handheld device on a 90-degree angle against your skin and then begin the process.
- Don't go over the same area more than one time, and be sure to move in a circular manner.
- Treat the desired area once every two weeks for a few months, or until you can start seeing results.
As we mentioned, you can shave in between the laser sessions, just make sure not to wax or tweeze.
Are there any negative side effects?
At-home laser hair removal devices are not as powerful as the lasers used in a professional setting. So with that in mind, the side effects are quite minimal.
In some cases, a little bit of redness or swelling can occur following treatment. This is perfectly normal and can be treated easily with a cold compress, an over-the-counter pain reliever, and aloe vera gel. For most people, these minor side effects tend to dissipate on their own within an hour or two. Another rare side effect that some people experience is a little bit of pigmentation changes in their skin. People with lighter skin may notice dark spots, while people with dark skin may notice light spots. However, similar to the other side effects, this tends to go away fairly soon following treatment.
Gone are the days of having to book an appointment with a laser specialist to get professionally lasered to combat unwanted body hair. Today, achieving silky-smooth flawless skin without a hair insight is easier than ever with at-home laser hair removal devices.
When looking for a great device, be sure to purchase from an honest and reputable company that backs their product with a warranty, like KENZZI. Your skin is the largest organ in your body. Take care of it with top-quality products like The KENZZI IPL Hair Removal Handset.
Trust us. You will thank us later!