Raise your hand if you hate shaving your underarms. You can typically get away with not shaving other parts of your body, but your underarms are more noticeable and easier to see than other body parts, meaning that you always have to take care of them.
There’s nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to growing body hair. But if you are one of those people who prefers to be hair-free, the underarm shave is a struggle. You can get ingrown hairs, razor burn, bumps, and dark patches of skin that make you look like you have stubble even if you just shaved.
Thankfully, there is a solution for all of these underarm hair removal woes. No more shaving, waxing, or plucking your hair away. Now you can sit back, relax, and enjoy hair-free, silky smooth skin. Read on to find out all about IPL treatments for your underarms and what you need to know.
What Is IPL And How Does It Work?
IPL stands for intense pulsed light. It can be used for a variety of treatments, but it is commonly used as a less painful form of hair removal (compared to other laser treatments). It delivers multiple wavelengths of energy, which means it can treat larger areas more quickly.
One way to look at it is that it produces scattered energy and pulses, whereas lasers produce concentrated energy and pulses. This means a laser has a more narrow focus than IPL does. It also means IPL is more gentle and better for sensitive skin types.
The device searches for the pigment in your skin and body hair. The pigment is what tells the IPL device where to target its pulses. For this reason, it is a less successful treatment on those with body hair that is lighter in color, such as red, grey, or blonde.
It typically works the best on those who have dark, coarse body hair. This makes it easier for the IPL device to target and destroy the hair follicle and root.
IPL devices (when used in a spa or dermatologist setting) can be used for issues such as rosacea, hyperpigmentation, scars, stretch marks, spider veins, sun damage, and acne scars. Different settings on the device allow the user to change the wavelength and light settings, which makes it more or less effective for varying issues.
On any of the settings, IPL can help with discoloration, such as excessive redness in the skin. This is why many people report seeing less darkness in their underarms when used regularly in that area for hair removal.
How Do You Use IPL On Your Underarms At Home?
Using KENNZI’s IPL device on your underarms at home is super easy. There are just a few steps to follow, and then you are good to go! Smooth and hair-free underarms are now an achievable and realistic goal you can accomplish by using your IPL device weekly.
When you go to a dermatologist or spa, you have to make appointments every few weeks, which is really inconvenient. IPL at home is so much easier and cost-effective! Below, you will see the steps you should follow when using your device.
- Make sure your device is plugged in. This is self-explanatory; your IPL device comes with a specific IPL power cord. Make sure your device is plugged in the entire time you are using it because it is not cordless and it does not take batteries.
- Shave the body part(s) that you will be using the device on. There are a lot of misconceptions about this step, as some people say you should not shave. The treatment will be more effective if you shave beforehand. Lather up your underarms in the shower and use a new razor to gently remove the hair.
- Choose your setting. There are five strength settings, ranging from weakest to strongest. A weaker setting does not mean it is less effective. It is more gentle on the skin and might take more time in order for you to see the same results as using a higher setting. If you are unsure about which setting to use, always start with the lowest setting and work your way up. That way, you can make sure your skin tolerates the strength of the IPL.
- Hold the button down and move it across your skin. When the light flashes and pulses, it is finding the pigment in your skin and hair and targeting that. Make sure you cover the entire area you are treating. You can go over it a few times and give each spot a few pulses.
- Unplug the device and securely store it. Make sure you keep it in its box or in a storage container. The better you take care of it, the longer it will last. With proper care and usage, your IPL device should last you for ten years or longer!
That’s it! All it takes a few simple steps to achieve soft, beautiful, hair-free skin! An added bonus is that it may help to even out the skin tone of your underarm and address some minor hyperpigmentation issues.
This is because IPL is used for other cosmetic concerns besides hair removal, which we discussed earlier. The type of light used in an IPL device can help with skin rejuvenation as well. It is important to note our device is specifically made for hair removal.
Are Your Underarms More Sensitive To IPL?
The answer is both yes and no. It really just depends on your body and your skin type. Generally speaking, there is no reason why you would experience extra sensitivity in your underarms when using an IPL device. However, the skin in your underarms is a bit softer than, say, your legs. So for some people, this might mean a bit more discomfort when using this hair removal method on their underarms.
At the same time, it is not as delicate as the skin on your face or near your bikini area, which is typically where people are most sensitive to any treatment, whether it is IPL or a different cosmetic procedure. And some people just have very sensitive skin in general.
Every part of their body might be sensitive to all hair removal techniques, from shaving to waxing and everything in between. In this case, they would likely have sensitivities to their underarms when using IPL as well as most other places on their body.
The best way to determine whether or not your underarms are more sensitive to an IPL treatment is to just do the treatment and see how your body reacts. If you are worried about pain or want to be extra cautious with your underarm area, you should start on the lowest strength setting of your IPL device.
That way, you can see what your tolerance is and work your way up from there. A lower setting does not mean the treatment will be less effective; rather, it means it will be more gentle while still being effective.
IPL is one of the best methods for hair removal because it’s is pain-free and highly effective. Not only does it help remove hair, but it also prevents it from growing back. This method helps to prevent ingrown hairs and it can also improve the dark patches of skin you might have in or around your underarms. When the hair is not growing back, it will not cause that shadow effect on your underarms.
IPL works by using light and energy to destroy the hair follicle and root. This ensures your body does not grow new hair very often. If and when it does regrow, it will be lighter and thinner, but eventually, many people stop growing hair in the places they use IPL.
KENNZI’s IPL device is quick and easy, gives you real results, and is cost-effective, especially when compared to the price of receiving an IPL treatment at a dermatologist’s office or spa. You can use it weekly and you will likely see results in three to four weeks.