Hair Removal Cream vs. Laser Hair Removal: Which is Better?
Choices - the world is chocked full of them. You can’t turn a corner without having to make some kind of choice. Would you prefer chicken or steak? Tea or coffee? Boxers or briefs?
It’s the same when it comes to hair removal. You have choices. Shaving, waxing, sugaring - there are a ton of options when it boils down to the infamous battle of unwanted body hair, but which option is best? Which option hurts less? Which is the most effective?
Today, we’re comparing two of the most popular methods of hair removal: laser hair removal and hair removal cream.
Both are extremely effective methods of getting rid of unwanted hair, but the process, pain level, and results of each vary. So, which one is better, you might ask? Keep reading to find out.
Hair Removal Creams
Also known as depilatories, hair removal creams use a strong alkaline solution that works by slowly breaking down the unwanted hair until it turns jelly-like and can be removed.
Using hair removal creams don’t require much work - all you need to do is simply apply the cream to your treated area, let it sit for a couple of moments and then gently wipe it off with water or a clean washcloth.
The chemicals in hair removal creams specifically target the proteins referred to as keratins in hair to destroy it. After the keratin has melted, the hair falls from its follicle. The end result washes the hair away easily. However, similar to shaving, hair removal creams are a temporary solution for getting rid of unwanted hair.
The Pros and Cons of Hair Removal Creams
There are pros and cons to every method of hair removal. It’s important to weigh these out when deciding if hair removal cream is right for you.
- Hair removal cream is a fast and easy way to get rid of unwanted body hair. All you have to do is apply the cream over the area of hair you want to disappear, wait a few minutes, then use a clean washcloth to rub off the cream and voila! You are left with hair-free skin. Hair removal cream typically only takes three to ten minutes from start to finish, but this does vary depending on which cream you use and the type of hair you are looking to remove.
- Unlike shaving, hair removal cream doesn’t cause nicks, cuts, or razor burn. They are virtually pain-free. However, it all really depends on how sensitive your skin is and which cream is being used. This is why it’s so important to do a simple patch test to determine if it’s right for your skin before fully committing to that particular hair removal cream. If you do a patch test and find no side effects occur, the cream is perfect for you.
- Lastly, one of the best advantages is that hair removal cream tends to be much more affordable than other traditional methods of hair removal like waxing. They can be purchased at a majority of retailers or drugstores, and they generally cost $4-$10.
- One of the biggest drawbacks of hair removal cream is, without a doubt, the smell. Because they are made with many different chemicals, these popular creams are infamous for their odor. The smell tends to be strong, too, so it’s best to find one you don’t mind the smell of.
- While many people will say hair removal creams are pain-free, others will tell you otherwise. It is so important to follow the instructions carefully. If you leave the cream on for too long, it can cause chemical burns. The alkalis present in the creams can irritate or burn the skin as well, and, in some cases, even cause an allergic reaction. Side effects will vary from person to person, but the most common ones include rashes, stinging sensations, skin peeling, itchiness, blisters, and burns. This is why it is extremely important to always do a patch test first with any new hair removal cream.
- Hair removal creams do not offer long-lasting results. In fact, the results don’t last as long as waxing, but some results do tend to last longer than shaving. However, it does need to be repeated on a regular basis to keep unwanted hair at bay.
Laser Hair Removal
If you want to free yourself from relentless and unwanted body hair permanently, laser hair removal can help. Laser hair removal treatment uses light to target the pigment (melanin) in individual hairs. The light travels down the shaft of the hair and into the hair follicle. The heat from the laser light then destroys the hair follicle, impairing hair from being able to grow back.
On average, about four to six sessions are typically needed, but results can last for years. In some cases, touch-up sessions may be required from time to time after your initial laser sessions to prevent the hair follicles from being able to regenerate.
The Pros and Cons of Laser Hair Removal Treatment
Just like hair removal cream, laser hair removal treatment has its own share of pros and cons. However, most people will agree, the benefits outweigh the risks.
- Laser hair removal treatment is the best solution for those looking for long-term hair reduction and removal. It is the only method that eliminates the hair follicle completely, inhibiting hair from being able to grow back.
- Laser hair removal treatment is safe and doesn’t do any long-term damage to the skin. There are no chemicals being used, so it is okay for those with sensitive skin.
- At-home laser hair removal devices are now available so you can get the same silky-smooth hair-free look you would get from a professional clinic all from the comfort of your very own home. If you decide to go this route, try the KENZZI IPL Hair Removal Handset, which aims to remove unwanted hair, slow the aging process by reducing wrinkles and perfect the skin tone by treating blemishes. KENZZI offers the worlds #1 at home IPL handset and is an exceptional option to tackle unwanted body hair.
- Many people are under the impression that laser hair removal is extremely painful, but this isn’t exactly the case. In fact, most people will tell you waxing hurts much more than laser hair removal treatment, and it feels similar to getting snapped by a rubber band.
- Laser hair removal is a process, and it takes a little bit of time to achieve permanent hair removal. In order for the laser to completely annihilate each hair follicle, your hair needs to be in a certain cycle of hair growth. For this reason, many sessions are required. You won’t see the instant results you’ll see from using a hair removal cream, but the results will last much longer.
- Laser treatment does tend to cost a little more upfront than other popular methods of hair removal, but as a long-term hair removal method, it can actually be more cost-effective over time.
So, laser hair removal treatment or hair removal cream - which is better?
When it boils down to battling unwanted hair, laser hair removal treatment is superior.
Why may you ask? Because laser hair removal treatment is the only method of hair removal that can completely destroy the hair follicle to inhibit hair growth. Depilatory creams are great and offer a fast solution to tackling undesirable body hair, but the chemicals used can sometimes cause a painful skin reaction, and the smell can be pretty difficult to get past.
If you want velvety smooth hair-free skin, look no further because laser hair removal treatment can help!